The IAM aims to inform and influence government and other decision makers. Our main objectives are to:
- Prioritise road safety and recognise the benefits of reducing road casualties
- Maintain investment in road safety education, infrastructure and enforcement
- Increase younger drivers' safety by improving the preparation for the driving test and promoting post-test training
- Address the needs of an ageing population by creating a plan for older drivers
- Promote responsible road behaviour and increase awareness of more vulnerable road users
We also react to topical issues facing road users, such as calls to lower the drink drive limit, change speed limits and changes to the MOT test
As one of the UK's leading authorities we regularly respond to government consultations and recently gave evidence at the Transport Select Committee's Inquiry into road safety. We are also part of a number of forums such as the Department for Transport's cycle safety stakeholder group and contribute internationally through the FIA .
The IAM would be interested in working together with local authorities to promote road safety within central government.